Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Another Look at Keyboard Town Pals



I felt I needed to post another mention for Keyboard Town Pals.  We reviewed this program for the Schoolhouse Review Crew about 2 years ago, in November 2011.  I still agree with the review I gave it at that time, that it is a good program for beginning typing with your younger children, up through about 8 years old.  At the time, my 10-year-old thought it was a bit silly, but my 8-year-old liked it and completed the program.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago.  The former 8-year-old who completed the program is now 10.  I realized that I had never done any formal typing lessons with her as I did with the older kids, and she does use the computer quite a lot for school, so I was thinking I should give her a typing class this year. When I observed her typing, however, I realized she was doing quite well without me ever teaching her!  She is using all the right fingers on the right keys and typing relatively quickly without many mistakes.  I asked her how she learned to type so well, if perhaps her sister had been helping her.  She said, "No, Mom.  Remember the keyboard program we reviewed with all the little characters in the town?  I learned with that!"  Truthfully, she did all the free lessons we received for review in one afternoon and maybe spent a week playing with the program, and she learned her fingering very well and it has stuck with her all this time!  This is the most painless way I've taught typing to any of my children, and I think I'm going to have to do it now with my youngest, who is now 7.  If I had older children who were not yet typing well, I'd make them do the program whether they thought it was silly or not!

So if you are looking for typing program for anyone under age 10 or 11, to teach typing or to improve it, I highly recommend Keyboard Town Pals.  I like it better now than I did when I first reviewed it!

Happy Keyboarding!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment