Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Strawberry Pie


I LOVE strawberry season!  I am pretty sure that strawberries are far and away the best food that God created.  So each year, our family goes to the strawberry farm and picks about 40 lbs!


We love strawberry shortcake, strawberries with whipped cream or chocolate, strawberry smoothies, and just plain bowls of strawberries all by themselves, but my absolute favorite is my mother's strawberry pie.  Now, I am sure this is not an original recipe, and I wouldn't be surprised if it came off of some gelatin or whipped cream container back in the 1970s.  I'm not really sure where she got it.  But I've never had this type of pie made by anyone outside of our family, and it is the best I've ever had, so I am going to share the very easy recipe here.


You will need:
A pre-prepared pie shell
As many sliced strawberries as you can pile into it (about 2 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 box (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
4 tblsp cornstarch
2 cups boiling water

Tip 1:  I usually use a 6 oz box of gelatin and double the recipe.  You'll eat the first pie by yourself, anyway.
Tip 2:  Mix the cornstarch in a little warm water until it dissolves first.  If you put it directly into the boiling water mixture, it will make insoluble clumps.
Tip 3:  You can make this sugar-free with a homemade sugar-free crust, 1 cup of splenda, and a box of sugar-free gelatin.

Mix the sugar, gelatin, cornstarch, and boiling water.  Cook until thick and clear, stirring continually.  Cool.  Pour into pie crust over sliced strawberries.  Chill.

Serve with whipped cream.

I would have shown you a picture of the finished product, but my family ate it too fast!

Happy strawberry-picking!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment