Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Flyby Review: Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas

So there’s this new movie called Kirk Cameron’s: Saving Christmas that is coming to select theaters November 14 for two weeks only! 

GO SEE THIS MOVIE THIS WEEKEND!

We've all gotten tired of people telling us not to say "Merry Christmas" because it is offensive, right?  But does all the stuff we do to celebrate have anything to do with Christmas, anyway?  You've heard the arguments - the Church turned a pagan holiday into Christmas so they would have an excuse to celebrate it, the symbols are all pagan symbols, yada, yada, yada.  When I was a kid, our church building did not have a Christmas tree in it for several years because some of the members objected that it was a pagan symbol.

Now, some of you adamantly believe that we should not let all these symbols and material things get into our Christmas celebration, and that is fine.  Each family must do what they feel their faith has led them to do.  The fact is, however, that many of our Christmas symbols DID come about for Christian reasons that have everything to do with glorifying Christ.

Deuteronomy 11:18-19 says,
"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." 
Holidays were originally given to the people by God as "Holy-Days," for the purpose of slowing down for a time, celebrating, and teaching their children the things about God they might forget over time.  Christmas is no different.  So visit Kirk Cameron at his sister's Christmas party and explore the origins of some of our favorite traditions.

In the review below this one, we talked about a children's video answering some of the same questions.  This one is for all ages, children through adults, and there's a lot of fun and humor along the way.  Unlike a straight documentary, this movie kept my interest from start to finish, and I will admit that although I have studied these things quite a bit before, I learned a few new things myself from this one.

I loved everything about this movie, from the characters to the sets.  There's a fabulous fireplace-and-Christmas tree scene where Kirk sits at the beginning of the movie.  I want to go there for my family Christmas pictures this year!!  We don't really believe there's any hot chocolate in that mug he swings around, but hot chocolate is always a nice touch!

 I'm not going to lie - part of the reason I wanted to review this movie, and why I liked it, is that Kirk Cameron is in it!  I liked him in  Growing Pains before I ever knew what his stand was, and with every project he does, I like him and admire him more.  I was privileged to participate in a teleconference with him and the other reviewers, and I love his passion for sharing not only Truth but the Joy of the Lord.  It was fun seeing his sister, Bridgette, in the movie with him.  (Hint, that's not really his brother-in-law, though - "Christian" is Darren Doane, director and co-writer of the movie.)

The only critique I would have for this movie?  Lose the winter beard, Kirk!  :-)

Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSiZIgZ2JQCheck out the official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SavingChristmasMovieOfficial website: http://www.savingchristmas.com 
"Join me, and my family, and together let’s put Christ back into Christmas. We’ll dive head first into all of the joy, the dancing, the celebration, the feasting, the imagination and traditions that glorify the true reason for the season.” - Kirk Cameron 
Saving Christmas is a wonderful defense of Christmas traditions and is quite educational. Candy and I also enjoyed some good laughs. I pray that God will use it to His glory.” 

Happy Movie-Watching! 

1 comment:

  1. I really want to go see this. Even more so after reading your review. :)
    ~Kim A.

    ReplyDelete