Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Political Correctness and Disagreeing Without Mistreating


I do not use my blog to write about a lot of political issues, nor do I post about them on Facebook.  Mainly because I do not know that it is a good forum for political opinions.  It is too easy for us to misunderstand each other when we read and post terse little remarks back and forth instead of sitting down and having a conversation about our ideas.

That said, I am now beginning to get more politically involved than I have been comfortable with in the past, because I believe that it is necessary in our times.  The recent controversy surrounding Chick-Fil-A has become a trigger for all kinds of emotions to fly from both sides.  I am posting a link to an article here that I think addresses the issue well, from both sides.

I think this is a very good article and would be worth your reading time, on whichever side of the issue you stand.  I just keep wondering about one thing, though, that I keep seeing in different articles, facebook statuses, etc.  In this article it is stated:  "it has broken my heart the way that many who claim to follow Christ have treated those who are homosexuals.  We’ve yelled at them, ignored them and in some cases damned them to hell without EVER sitting down and actually having a conversation with someone who is gay."

Those of you out there who are Christians, are you really doing that stuff?  I am a Christian.  I have friends who are homosexual.  Some of whom I consider very good friends.  I'm pretty sure we disagree on the definition of marriage issue and I'm pretty sure they know how I feel about it.  So far, I have not once yelled at one of them, ignored them, or damned them to hell.  I haven't seen any churches do that.  I'm sure there are *some* Christians and *some* churches who are not acting in love, just like there are *some* homosexuals who molest children.  These extremes are clearly in the wrong.  But do you really have the perception that that is how all Christians act?  If you are gay and would like to visit a church, come to mine this Sunday.  We won't tell you we agree with your lifestyle, but we won't treat you in any derogatory way.  You can sit with all the rest of us liars, gossips, murderers, and adulterers and learn about the blood of Christ that can wash us all clean.

Here is the article:  http://www.perrynoble.com/2012/08/01/ben-jerrys-chic-fil-a-political-correctness/.

Here's to treating one another in love and becoming more Christ-like.

5 comments:

  1. I share your thoughts...thank you for expressing them so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have said it well. Its such a shame that people fell they have a right to criticize those that do not think the same as ourselves. Thank God for making us all different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank yuou for saying this so well! I agree with you and I am a Christian, although I cannot go to church as I see all the "Christian hipocrites" and some are in my own family. I personally don't care what color you are or what your lifestyle is - I want to live in a world that we are people that deserve respect for whatever choices we make even if they are different than mine. Where I draw the line is where people of a differnt mentality than I try to make me wrong for my personal beliefs. Can't we all just learn to live in peace and treat each other as we would have other's treat us?! Oh, and I stood for an hour in line to get my order yesterday (sunburn and all) to stand up for my rights to have my own beliefs regarding family values and the constitutional right for anyone to have their personal/business opinion!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for standing in line in the hot sun to support Chick-Fil-A! Unfortunately, there are hypocrites in the church just like there are sick people in a hospital, but hopefully it's a place where we are all learning and improving. I hope you can find a church where you are able to attend in your area. We Christians all really need each other and need to stay in fellowship there!

      Delete
  4. I agree completely. I am a christian and I know gay people. I may not agree with their lifestyle but I don't hate them. To be a true christian, I think you should try to love everyone - no matter their race, religion or sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete