Monday, October 11, 2010

Fingers Wiggling Under the Door

Saturday, August 2, 2008


Someday, when my children grow up and go to college, I will go visit them in the dormitory. When they go to the bathroom, I will bang on the door, throw myself on the floor, and stick my fingers under the door, yelling, "No, no! Open the door! I want to be with you!" If they forget to lock the door, I can fling it open when lots of people are in the room outside it. Of course, they will not remember the days when they did this to me, and they will think, "Mom is losing it!" and put me in a home. But someday, when I am able to go to the bathroom in peace and have privacy in my own home, I will miss those little fingers under the door. I will be lonely. A day is coming, sooner than I want it to, when they will not want my advice and they will be embarrassed to be seen with me in public. So for now, when they climb me while I'm on the phone and sit on top of me while I try to fold laundry, I will enjoy every minute of it. I will lovingly help change the doll's diapers, and I will carefully step over the toy cars zooming under my feet while I work in the kitchen. For these are among the greatest blessings of my life, and someday I will long to come back to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment